Delayed removal of gastric button batteries may result in more damage to the stomach

Children who swallow button batteries are more likely to experience gastric damage if the object is removed 12 or more hours after ingestion, according to research published in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.Racha T. Khalaf, MD, of the digestive health institute at Children’s Hospital Colorado, and colleagues wrote that while button battery ingestions are generally thought to be more threatening when they are located in the esophagus, there is no universal recommendation for batteries that are retained in the stomach.“Gastric button batteries are generally thought to be less damagingRead More

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin